Monday, October 15, 2012

Why Picanto?

I'm often asked by others why I chose the Kia Picanto as my current car, given that my previous ride was a 2007 Hyundai Getz. Well, there are a few reasons:

First of all, while the Getz is a very dependable car, I had bought it second-hand, and a lot of wear-and-tear from the first owner had started to take its toll. The windshield wiper motor was actually broken before I purchased it, the rear shocks have already given in, and the paint on the trunk frame had started to peel off. Sure, I could have spent some money on getting all of these fixed, but the running costs would continue to pile up on a car that was just discontinued. And because it's no longer being produced, the Getz ended up with a trade-in value of Php 170,000 (and even lower on most other dealers).

Second, having a smaller car makes city life much easier. The Picanto is easier to park anywhere (especially in the very tight garage of my pad) and a breeze to maneuver through traffic due to its light steering and small turning radius. Plus, its light weight and efficient motor results in excellent fuel economy. Sure, I lose luggage space compared to the Getz, but I hardly ever carry anything or anyone with me.

Of course, I've considered other small cars that are significantly cheaper than the Picanto, but after going through several dealerships, here's what I found:
  • Hyundai i10: Technically the same car as the Picanto, but not as good-looking and somewhat sparse in amenities.
  • Hyundai Eon: While this is a great bargain, I don't think the 814 cc engine can take the daily torture of climbing the garage.
  • Chevrolet Spark: Simply ugly with quirky ergonomics and GM's somewhat spotty reputation.
  • Suzuki Celerio: The lack of a glove compartment is already enough to turn it down.
  • Chana Benni: After seeing Chery fizzle out of the market, I'd never consider a Chinese car as an option.
In short, I chose the Picanto because it's the right car for my current needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment